Kaap Skil has an unusual and impressive main building. The international award-winning design is by Mecanoo architects.
The Traanroeier Mill
A working grain mill, the Traanroeier, can also be found on the museum grounds. The state monument dates back to 1727, when it was constructed in Zaandam.
At Kaap Skil, a reconstructed street with authentically designed fishermen cottages, a bakery and a smith gives a good impression of how life was in Oudeschild.
Monumental eelgrass shed
The monumental eelgrass shed on the museum grounds was once used to dry eelgrass. Up till the 1930s, eelgrass was a highly sought after material. It was used, among others, for dike reinforcement, housing insulation and even mattress filling. The wet eelgrass was hung to dry in sheds and later pressed into bales.
Two 19th century brick warehouses can be found on the museum grounds. The buildings are connected together inside.
The Texel eelgrass shed
The Texel eelgrass shed on the museum grounds is part of the Noordkaap building. This shed was built around 1900 on the Hoge Berg.
The lifeboat shed on the museum grounds was built in 1824. The shed first stood in the Texel village of Den Hoorn.